E-mail MeRobert J. David
Robert J. David was born in New Roads, Louisiana on August 10, 1943. He graduated from St. Joseph's High School and attended LSU and SLU, earning a B.A. degree in 1966. IN 1969 he received his Juris Doctor degree from Loyola Law School, where he served on the Loyola Law Review.
Representing patients and their families in medical malpractice cases is the principal focus of Robert’s practice. He has been named to Woodward/White’s "The Best Lawyers in America," for twenty consecutive years. He has since 1989 been the editor of the continuing column on "Professional Liability" for the Louisiana Bar Journal, the official publication of the Louisiana State Bar Association.
He began working at the Gainsburgh, Benjamin law firm as a law clerk in 1968 and joined the firm as an associate in 1969. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the American Bar Endowment, a Diplomate of the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys with Special Competence in Medical Professional Liability, and is one of a select number of lawyers from Louisiana who have qualified for Diplomate status. He is a charter member of the Louisiana Bar Foundation, and is a member of the American Bar Association, the New Orleans Bar Association, the Louisiana Association for Justice, and the American Association for Justice.
Robert has served on the Adjunct faculty of the Loyola and Tulane Law Schools. He has been a guest lecturer on behalf of the American Bar Association, American Law Institute, Louisiana State Bar Association, Louisiana Association for Justice, Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Bar Association, Louisiana State Medical Society, American Board of Professional Liability Lawyers, Lafayette Parish Medical Society, Orleans Parish Medical Society, American College of Cardiologists, West Jefferson Medical Center, Louisiana State University Medical School, and Louisiana Medical Mutual Insurance Company.
In 1989 he was appointed to the Medical/Legal Interprofessional Committee, a Joint Committee of the Louisiana State Medical Society and Louisiana State Bar Association, having served as Attorney Chairperson from 1991 - 1994. He also served on the Louisiana Disciplinary Board from 2001 - 2004 as a Hearing Committee member and then as a Committee Chairperson from 2004 - 2007, as a bar exam grader for the Committee on Bar Admissions, on the Loyola Law School Alumni Board of Directors, Loyola Law School Visiting Committee, Louisiana State Bar Association Insurance Committee, and he has served on the Board of Governors, Executive Committee and Counsel of Directors for the Louisiana Association of Justice. He currently serves as a member of the Attorney Disciplinary Committee for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
He was Chair of the Jurisprudence Committee of the New Orleans Bar Association and received its Outstanding Service Award in 1995. Robert served on the Ad Hoc Committee on Breast Cancer for the New Orleans Bar Association and was Chairperson of the Medical Malpractice Section of Louisiana Association for Justice. He was a member of the "Governor's Commission on Medical Professional Liability." He is listed in "Louisiana Super Lawyers," published by "Law and Politics," in the specialty of medical malpractice and was named by Super Lawyers as one of the "Top Ten Attorneys in Louisiana." He has, for many years, been listed in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in American Law. The National Trial Lawyers listed Robert in its "Top 100 Trial Lawyers."
On November 19, 2009, Robert was bestowed with the New Orleans Bar Association's Arceneaux Professionalism Award and he was presented with the President's Award from the Louisiana Association for Justice.
Robert was a reader/recorder for the Louisiana Blind and Handicapped. He has made guest appearances on television and radio regarding issues of medical malpractice and breast cancer. From 1995-2000 he was on Holy Cross High School's Board of Directors, and he served as President of Arden Cahill Academy’s Parent Teacher League from 1978-1979.
Robert and Stella were married in January 1967, and they have two sons. Robert, Jr. is an attorney practicing in the Juneau David firm, Lafayette, Louisiana, and Richard is a representative of the Structural Heart Division of Medtronics in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice, Representing Patients and their families
- Personal Injury, on behalf of Plaintiffs
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified in Medical Professional Liability, American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, 1999
- Certified as Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1999
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Law Review: Loyola Law Review, Member
- Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, Louisiana
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- 145 Articles, Louisiana Bar Journal (1989-Present), concerning medical liability cases
- Med. Negligence-Value of a Chance, Alabama Trial Lawyers Journal, Summer, 1990
- Thoughts on Cross-Examination, Civil Trial Tactics Manual, Louisiana Trial Lawyers, 1981
- Evidence: Factual Testimony v. Judicial Confession, Spring, 1969
- Corporal Punishment in Public Schools, Loyola Law Review, Fall, 1968
- 20 Continuing Legal Education Publications
- Part-Time Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy, Tulane Law School, 1979 - 1981
- Adjunct Professor, Loyola School of Law, 1996, 2003
Honors and Awards
- New Orleans "Lawyer of the Year", 2012, Plaintiff's Personal Injury Litigation, Woodward/White's "Best Lawyers in America"
- New Orleans "Lawyer of the Year", 2014, Medical Malpractice Law, Woodward/White's "Best Lawyers in America"
- Named: The Best Lawyers in America, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, in the fields of representing plaintiffs in medical malpractice and personal injury cases
- Who's Who in American Law, 1987 - Present
- Recipient, Outstanding Service Award, New Orleans Bar Association, 1995
- New Orleans Bar Association’s Arceneaux Professionalism Award
- The Louisiana Association for Justice, President's Award
- SuperLawyers, Thomson Reuters' 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- The Top 50 Louisiana Lawyers 2008, 2009, 2010, per Thomson Reuters
- American College of Trial Lawyers, 2000 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Louisiana Bar Journal, Editor, Bi-Monthly Edition of 'Professional Liability', (1989 to present
- Editor, 'Medical Malpractice Law', Louisiana Advocates
- Chair, Medical Jurisprudence Committee, New Orleans Bar Association, 1998 - 2000
- Diplomat, American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- New Orleans Bar Association, Member, Ad Hoc Committee on Breast Cancer
- Special Insurance Committee, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Bench/Bar, Special Liaison Committee
- Medical-Legal Interprofessional Committee, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Assistant Examiner, Committee on Bar Admissions, Louisiana State Bar Association, 1974 - 1993
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member, Committee on Medical Malpractice
- Chair, Medical Malpractice Section, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, President's Advisory Board
- Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors
- Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, Executive Committee
- Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, Council of Directors
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Kappa Sigma
- Phi Alpha Delta